Why spend money getting your hair darkened or lightened when you can do it yourself? If you color your own hair at home, use these tips.
- At-home hair coloring is for men and women who just want to go two shades lighter or darker or to cover gray. Complicated procedures should be handled by a professional hairdresser.
- Never go more than two shades darker or lighter.
- Don’t choose by the picture on the box. These pictures can be misleading. Select by the color swatches on the box and the descriptions.
- Always test a few strands of hair first. This way you will not end up with a color you donâ€™t like.
- As a protective measure, rub Vaseline around your hairline before applying color. Always wear gloves and wrap a towel around your shoulders.
- Wash your hair a day before – not the day of – coloring.
- After you color, wait 24 hours before washing hair.